Friday, September 6, 2013

Culinary School Day One, Part Two: Stocks, Sauces, and Burnt Onions, Oh My!

Picture from here.

Okay so it sounds better when it's pronounced 'oignon brûlé', but a burnt onion is a burnt onion which is… apparently a cool way to color stock. But we'll get back to that in a minute.

A student from another class showed up for a demonstration or practical I believe, so we got to watch Chef Loving work his magic. It was a Fish Velouté? Or whatever he pronounced he got to taste it and I swear to you it tasted like memories. I know I've never had it, but the flavor was so familiar… I just couldn't remember where I remembered it from. It obviously had wine in it, so maybe I'm just a crazy drunk and it reminded me of my favorite Chardonnay (kidding- I only really like sparkling wines).

In that part of class, we learned about Bouquet Garni (bo-KAY gar-NEE), Sachet d'Épices (sa-SHAY DAY-pees), Mirepoix (meer-PWAH), and our buddy, the Oignon Brûlé (uh-NYON broo-LAY). They add flavor to stocks, sauces, and soups and each have their own standards. The Bouquet Garni is usually a sprig of thyme, a bay leaf, a couple of leek leaves, and parsley stems, all wrapped around a celery stalk with string. Add that in your soup, stock, or sauce and take it out when it's infused. The standard sachet is parsley stems, a sprig of thyme, a bay leaf, cracked peppercorns, and possibly a garlic clove wrapped in cheesecloth and infused in the same way as bouquet garni. Next is the burnt onion. You cut an onion in half or quarters and literally burn the heck out of it (okay, 'char' it) in a dry skillet. Cook it in your stock or sauce for a long time and the color will look nice and the flavor will be delicious, but it is mostly for color. Lastly is the mirepoix. We learned the standard will always be two parts onion, one part carrot, and one part celery. The onions can be intermingled or interchanged with leeks, the carrots with parsnips, and the celery with celeriac. There are different formulas, including an Asian and a Cajun one with different ingredients, but the onion family ratio is usually still the same.

During our small breaks, one of the girls in front of me turned around and we discuss our worries about the course. She was just as nervous as I was about how to fit in the time for school and work. Here is basically the schedule I have to work with:


Each 'plan' is a rotation for the semester,  each class one at a time for five weeks at a time. It looks intimidating, but I'll find a way...

We had an hour lunch (in which I indulged in Spicy Spaghetti and Meatballs at Noodles and Company), and it was our turn to meet Chef Sam Musto. He is the 'hybrid' part of the course and mostly works with us on Blackboard which is where we complete our quiz homework. Of course, the person who never pays attention said Chef Loving didn't go over the practical (which he did) so Chef Musto went over what will be on it AGAIN. Here is what will be on the practical:

  • Equipment Identification and Usage
  • Herb and Spice Identification
  • Knife Cuts
  • Sauce and Stock Making

In six more weeks, I hope to master this material and focus my energy on preparing for both the practical and the written exam.

Chef Musto was very nice. He told us the real about the industry and basically inspired me overall. Sitting in that class I knew that it was what I wanted to do. He told us that the education was worth it. He said don't let a chef tell you not to go to school and just work under him. That way, you most likely won't make more than $15 as a chef. He told a story of how he was offered a big promotion at a restaurant, but he would have to quit school. He refused, and one of his friends accepted the offer. He didn't hate, she said she was living the life, condos, she drove a Porsche, she was fancy. But then he said, what happens if they have to let you go? What do you have to fall back on? Education is important.

Lastly, he spoke to us about climbing the ranks in the culinary world as far as credentials. This is what made me want to at least attempt to become a Master Chef. There's Certified Culinarian, Sous Chef, Chef de Cuisine, Executive Chef, Personal Chef, etc, but the top is Master Chef and Master Pastry Chef. The requirements are pretty steep,  but I want to work to get to that point!

And that was the first day! I'm excited to find out what we learn tomorrow and I hope you are too! In the mean time, enjoy these videos we watched in class.





If these don't inspire you, I don't know what else will!

No comments:

Post a Comment